- Folsom’s Historic District: Above the placid waters of Lake Natoma resides one of the region’s hidden historical gems. Stroll along Sutter Street where unique shops and restaurants await.
- Placerville: Infamously known as “Hangtown,” Placerville offers a throwback experience with a stroll-able historic district featuring bars, restaurants and boutique shops. Don’t miss the El Dorado County Historical Museum for a real glimpse of history.
- Old Sacramento: Step back in time for riverside fun in the original Sacramento. Shops, restaurants, boat rides, train rides, and the California State Railroad Museum make this a perfect place for all ages.
Parks & Museums
- Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park: Explore Sacramento’s earliest settlement, and first non-native settlement in California’s Central Valley. The fort is named for Swiss immigrant, John Sutter.
- California State Railroad Museum: Celebrate the history of our railroads with interactive exhibits and plenty of big and small trains to explore. Ideal for kids of all ages.
Gold Rush History near Rancho Cordova
The discovery of gold ignited a mass migration toward the west. In Rancho Cordova, you can travel and explore the treasures of Gold Country just off of historic Highway 49. Here are a few of our favorite places to visit for Gold Country history:
- Historic Folsom: Stop at the Folsom Historic District and learn about the California gold discovery at the Folsom History Museum, and receive a first hand experience with blacksmiths and gold panning at Pioneer Village. After, make sure you explore the many taverns, wine bars and restaurants to make your tour of historic Folsom complete.
- Marshall Gold Discovery Park: Experience the history of the California Gold Rush in Coloma with a visit to the Marshall Gold Discovery Park, where James W. Marshall first discovered gold, and marked one of the most significant historical land marks in the United States. Explore the landmark's gold discovery tours, youth programs, living history days, hiking and picnic areas with the whole family.
- Hangtown's Gold Bug Park and Mine in Placerville: Create memories at the Hangtown's Gold Bug Park and Mine in Placerville, and explore deep inside the mountain to discover hidden treasures of the California Gold Rush. Spend the whole day at the park and visit the blacksmith's shop, stamp mill, museum, gift shop and more!
Aerospace Museum of California
3200 Freedom Park Drive, CA McClellan, 95652 Phone: (916) 643-3192
Aerospace Museum of California3200 Freedom Park Drive, CA
California Automobile Museum
2200 Front Street Sacramento, California 95818 Phone: (916) 442-6802
California Automobile Museum2200 Front Street
Sacramento, California 95818
El Dorado County Historical Museum
104 Placerville Dr Placerville, California 95667 Phone: (530) 621-5865
El Dorado County Historical Museum104 Placerville Dr
Placerville, California 95667
Folsom Historic District
915 Sutter St #110 Folsom, California 95630 Phone: (916) 985-7452
Folsom Historic District915 Sutter St #110
Folsom, California 95630
Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park
310 Back St Coloma, California 95613 Phone: (530) 622-3470
Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park310 Back St
Coloma, California 95613
Mills Station Arts & Cultural Center
10191 Mills Station Rd. Phone: (916) 273-5712
Mills Station Arts & Cultural Center10191 Mills Station Rd.
Rancho Cordova, California 95670
823 Sutter St Folsom, California 95630 Phone: (916) 985-2707
Pioneer Village823 Sutter St
Folsom, California 95630
Sacramento Vintage Ford
11375 Sunrise Park Dr #800 Phone: (916) 853-2244
Sacramento Vintage Ford11375 Sunrise Park Dr #800
Rancho Cordova, California 95742
MORE TO DISCOVER
Discover Rancho Cordova: A Must-Visit Town in California’s Gold Country
Established as a result of the California Gold Rush in the mid-1800s, the town of Rancho Cordova has a rich…
36 Hours in the California Gold Country: Why Rancho Cordova Is the Weekend Getaway You Didn’t Know You Needed
In the heart of Northern California, Rancho Cordova hosts a wealth of attractions for a fun and relaxing weekend getaway.
5 Amazing Things to Do When You Visit Rancho Cordova
You may have traveled to Rancho Cordova for a sports tournament or on a business trip, but have you really…