Free Event: Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2023
9 am to Noon
11549 Fair Oaks Blvd.,
Fair Oaks CA 95628
Join Sacramento’s UC Master Gardeners for the final open garden event of 2023. You will get locally-relevant insights on caring for your garden at the end of the season’s bounty—preparation for 2024. See colorful foliage and late season blooms like cherry-red pineapple sage against lime green leaves. Feel free to bring your curiosity and questions. Pictures of problem pests or plants, or samples in an enclosed bag or jar, can be helpful.
At 10 a.m. a talk on fall plantings will take place in the Water-Efficient Landscape garden. Elsewhere in the garden will be opportunities to learn about:
• Water-Efficient Landscape: Fall clean-up to manage pests and adding bulbs for spring blooms.
• Compost: Turning and sifting finished compost. Kids love finding and caring for red wigglers.
• Berries: Pruning and amending the soil for the proper pH.
• Herbs: Cool season bloomers like hyssop, chrysanthemums, dianthus and sages.
• Vegetables: Planting cover crops and cool season veggies to sustain Sacramento year-round.
• Orchard: Late season harvesting, mulching and preparations for frost protection.
• Vineyard: Noting color changes that could mean more than normal fall changes.
The colorful 2024 Gardening Guide and Calendar focused on habitat in the garden will be available—and is a great holiday gift at just $12. Please bring cash or check. Credit card purchases are available online.
For more information visit https://sacmg.ucanr.edu.